Finally fulfilling his childhood dream of driving an Indy car, seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson is sold on figuring out how to race next year in the IndyCar Series after a test session Tuesday.
“It only lit the fire more. I want to do this more than ever before,” Johnson said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “It was something new, something different. NASCAR has been so good to me. and I am so proud of the success I’ve had. But to try something new, man, this was really cool.”
Johnson initially thought his racing career would take him into IndyCar, the series he followed as a child, but the path instead veered into NASCAR. He’s put together one of the most successful careers in series history, but the 44-year-old will retire from full-time NASCAR competition at the end of this season.
He won’t stop competing, though, and Johnson has already put in motion a plan he hopes will get him into some IndyCar events next year. An initial test with McLaren was canceled when sports shut down in the early part of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic; Johnson’s positive coronavirus test earlier this month pushed a July 8 test with Chip Ganassi Racing to Tuesday.
Even as he headed to Indianapolis Motor Speedway at the start of the day, he fretted that something would spoil his long-awaited opportunity.
“Third time was a charm, but I was worried something would jinx it,” he said.
Nothing spoiled his day, which Johnson likened to a “first day of school.” He drove the same car Felix Rosenqvist raced on the Indy road course earlier this month and had five-time IndyCar champion Scott Dixon on hand as his driver coach.